You're the Zest - Week 26

Week 26 - The Lemon Meringue Margarita



This week's drink is The Lemon Meringue Margarita.  To be honest, I was a little skeptical of this drink for two reasons.  The first, I was going to have to learn to spell Meringue - it's a shockingly hard word to spell! The second and more important hang up with this drink, is the egg white in the drink.  It just seemed weird and a little unnatural.  The finished product looked really pretty though, so I decided to go for it.

There was a bit of prep for this drink.  In addition to the usual ingredients, I had to separate an egg white from an egg.  I'm sure many people will read this and think this is easy, but my idea of using my kitchen is for a place to store my plates.  Needless to say, my culinary abilities lack in pretty much all areas.  However, I did manage to figure out how to separate the egg white and added it to the drink.  Victory!

Instead of salt or regular sugar for the rim, this drink called for powdered sugar.  It was an interesting thing to add to a drink and I was intrigued to see how this all turned out.  I combined all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shook over ice.  I poured into the glass and to my surprise, the drink did exactly what it was supposed to do.  There was a nice layer of white foam at the top of the drink.  It looked perfect!


I really had to power through to try this one.  I actually considered just making the drink and not trying it, but that seemed wrong, so I went for it.  It was shockingly good.  I could not believe it. I give this two thumbs up.

Lesson learned - Sometimes weird ingredient combinations can surprise you.  Drink making is all about trying new things.  Today certainly pushed my boundaries, but it turned out for the best.  This is definitely one of my favorites.

Recipe 
1 1/2 ounces gold tequila
1 ounce Cointreau
1 ounce lemon juice
1 ounce simple syrup
1 large egg white
powdered sugar for rim garnish (if desired)

Level of difficulty - 5
Taste - 9
Overall - 9





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tale of Two Toddies - Hill Billy Bourbon

Here Comes the Sun - Week 4

Ain't Life Grand - Week 11