Hoppy Easter - Week 12

Week 12 - The Cottontail Margarita



Happy Easter everyone!  As I have mentioned in earlier posts, I generally post a week or two behind when I actually make the drinks.  This gives me time to write and edit my posts and it also allows me to work around my travel schedule.  However, it just didn't seem right to post the Easter drink two weeks from now.  So I am jumping the Easter post in line in real time!  Please be advised that this means no one has edited this post except me and I have already disclosed that I am a bad editor, so you will have to bear with me on any typos!  This also means that I am totally unrestrained to use as many commas and exclamation points as I want!!!!  The possibilities are endless!! See week 2 for my full confession on overusing these two items.


Over the last few weeks, no less than 10 people have sent me or tagged me in a post for a drink called The Cottontail Margarita.  The drink looks  Easter festive and fun, so I couldn't resist giving it a shot.  This drink does not come from the book that I usually get my recipes from (101 Margaritas).  This recipe comes from www.delish.com


There was a fair amount of prep for this drink.  I broke it down to two stages - prepping the actual drink and prepping the glasses.  I had some family in town visiting for the holiday, so I made four drinks in total.  Another difference with this drink is that the recipe I have is for a pitcher, not per glass. 


What initially drew me to this drink was the coconut around the rim of the glass.  I love all things coconut, so I was definitely looking forward to trying this.  To get the coconut to stick to the rim of the glass, the recipe calls for marshmallow fluff to be spread with a knife around the rim of the glass (inside and out).  After the fluff is fully spread, dip the rim of the glass into the coconut flakes.  See photos of this process below:







I then mixed up the drink ingredients in a pitcher.  I added ice to the coconut rimmed glasses.  The final touch was to add a cut marshmallow for the "tail" and a festive straw.  I then poured the drink mix into each glass.








I have to admit, my expectations for the taste on this drink were very low.  It sure looked pretty and very festive, but I was very skeptical on the mix of ingredients.  To my surprise, it was actually decent.  I wouldn't make it every day, but it was a solid choice.  The pineapple juice really gives the drink an island taste.  As much as I love coconut, the drink was not overwhelmingly coconut in flavor.  My guests were big fans of the drink.

A fun side note - As we were getting ready to taste the drink, our family dog (Darcy) snuck in and decided she was a fan of the Cottontail!  She snuck a lick before we could stop her.  It was all caught on camera because we were about to taste test.  Busted!!  Thankfully, we caught her before the diabetes set in. It's a darn good thing she's cute:)

 
Lesson learned: Sometimes you have to deviate from the plan.  I wasn't planning on posting out of order, but you can't let a fun holiday experience go by.  I have to learn to go with the flow more.  My type A personality struggles with this, but I'm trying to rehabilitate myself!!


Recipe *This recipe is for a pitcher not a single glass.  It seems funny to point that out, but I assure you in my early drink making days, I once mixed this up and barely lived to tell the tale!
1/2 cup Marshmallow fluff
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
1 1/2 cups silver tequila
1 cup triple sec
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup lime juice


Level of difficulty: 5
Taste: 7
Overall: 7






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tale of Two Toddies - Hill Billy Bourbon

Here Comes the Sun - Week 4

Ain't Life Grand - Week 11