Ain't Life Grand - Week 11

Week 11 - The Grand Gold Margarita


Many of you already know that I grew up in Western New York.  Much of my family, including my parents and sister still live there and I love it with my whole heart.  Some days, it feels like I just left New York to start a new adventure in Florida.  However, today marks my 5 year anniversary of moving to Florida.  I miss home something awful sometimes, but Jacksonville also suits me and as each year passes, it feels more like home.  It also helps to have some pretty great new Florida friends and a steady stream of NY visitors:) 


My parents have been enjoying the snowbird life the last few years and spend a few months during the dead of winter down in Florida with me.  While they are down here, they enjoy doing something I simply can't wrap my head around - Flea markets.  I tease them mercilessly about flea markets being a past time for old people:)  They remain totally unphased by my teasing and happily visit different markets all over Florida.  I may need to apologize to them though, because last week they came home with the most beautiful margarita glasses for me that they found at the flea market.  They may be on to something after all.  If I could just get past that weird musty smell flea markets have...A task for another day:)  A pic of my new glasses is below.



I was excited to use my new glasses and I was in the mood for a more traditional margarita this week, so I chose the Grand Gold Margarita for week 11.  It is a traditional margarita with the addition of Grand Marnier.  My dad and my mom's cousin Dawn (visiting from NY - celebrating her retirement!) agreed to be my taste testers this week.  Dawn prefers sugar on the rim of her drinks and my dad does not like salt or sugar on the rim.  As I have mentioned, I love salt on my margaritas, so I used salt for mine.  This gave us a nice range of tastes.  See photos of the drink trio below:




The drink turned out fantastic!  It was fun to go back to a more traditional margarita after mixing it up with some other more fun  versions the last few weeks.  I chose a simple lime wheel for the garnish.  My taste testers gave it two thumbs up and I agreed!   We followed up our drinks with a game of Euchre, Which I have come to realize is a decidedly northern card game.  Not many people down here have ever heard of it, so it was fun to get to play.  It was the perfect mix of my old life and my new life.  A great way to celebrate my Florida anniversary.



Lesson Learned - Change isn't always a bad thing, even if I fight it at every angle.  However, there's nothing wrong with the tried and true, just like the basic margarita.  there's a season for all things.


Recipe
2 ounces gold tequila
2 ounces simple syrup
1 ounce Grand Marnier
1 ounce lime juice
1 ounce lemon juice
lime wheel or wedge for garnish


Level of Difficulty: 2
Taste 9.5
Overall: 9





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tale of Two Toddies - Hill Billy Bourbon

Here Comes the Sun - Week 4