New Year, New Adventure - Bulleit Bourbon

Month 1 - Bulleit Bourbon
Happy 2019 Everyone!  I know we have solidly been into the new year for several weeks now, but I'm finally getting my act together on my new drink project for 2019.  I have thoroughly enjoyed my 2018 margarita adventure, but I think that project ran it's course, so  I feel like I have to move outside my comfort zone again to grow as a drink maker.  I have given this quite a bit of thought, and have decided to focus on bourbon for 2019!  Why bourbon?  Well, I don't know anything about it...like couldn't pick it out of a crowd, maybe tasted it twice in my life, do not know anything about it:)  So I present you my 2019 adventure:  not throwing up drinking Bourbon!

I admit that making one drink a week (like I did in 2018) got to be too much for me, especially with my work schedule.  Because of this, I have modified my plan for this year.  For 2019, I plan to select one bourbon each month.  I will taste the bourbon by itself and in a mixed drink.  Be prepared to laugh as I navigate these uncharted waters!

For January, I have selected Bulleit Bourbon.  Two things to right out of the gate:  first, That is the correct spelling of the liquor.  I checked twice!  Second, this was a bit of an easy choice for me as I had this in my cupboard from last December when I made the Kentucky Margarita.  I felt like it was an easy starting point!

I made two versions of this drink for January.  The first was over ice.  This gave me the full flavor of the drink and a good idea of what I was getting myself into for this year.  My initial thoughts:  It's going to be a really long year.  Bourbon is kinda gross.  I kid, but only a little.  It's definitely not a drink that I have a strong taste for.  I am hopeful it will grow on me as I expand my palate. 

The second and mixed style drink I chose was a Side Car made with bourbon.  This drink called for Cointreau, which I have plenty of from my margarita making days, along with lemon juice and strips of lemon zest.  I admit, the actual recipe was too strong for me.  I cut out an ounce of bourbon for my second try and liked it much better.  Perhaps I have to work my way up to full strength?!?!
Recipe
4 ounces of bourbon
2 ounces Cointreau
2 ounces fresh squeezed lemon juice
1-2 3 inch strips of lemon zest for garnish

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tale of Two Toddies - Hill Billy Bourbon

Here Comes the Sun - Week 4

Wasting Away Again in Cosmo Rita Ville - Week 7