Thanks a Melon! - Week 9

Week 9 - The Midori Margarita





It's National Margarita day and I have officially hit 9 weeks into the new year.  How is this Possible?  Time sure does fly by when you are having fun.  I also have a house full of northerners fleeing the snow, so I have an audience for this week's drink!  The more the merrier:) 


I decided to try the Midori Margarita for Week 9.  I have never had Midori and was not familiar with anything about it, so I had no idea how this drink would turn out.  In addition, this drink can be made frozen or on the rocks.  Since I had quite a few people participating in the taste test this week and given my tumultuous past with frozen drinks, I decided to make the drink both ways and see what happened!



This drink was pretty simple to put together.  The usual ingredients with the addition of Midori.    Bonus - I was able to use my new straws again!  I added salt to the rim of the regular margarita and sugar to the rim of the frozen margarita.  I went with a simple garnish of lime for each version of the drink.


I really wasn't expecting much out of this drink.   It was simply a recipe in the book that I planned to make at some point during the year.  I didn't think the drink would be terrible, but I did not anticipate that it would be one of my favorites.  It was also hard to follow the Mojito Rita from last week because it was so amazing and as I mentioned above, I have never tasted Midori and really did not know what to expect out of a bright green liquor. The color alone seemed suspect and something that I should have drank in college.  You know, back when all alcohol seemed decent because I had not yet trained my palate and was too poor to care!   To my surprise this drink was outstanding in both forms.  I was truly impressed with how much I enjoyed this drink. 


In addition, I finally got the consistency of the frozen margarita right!!!! That's right, you read that correctly!!!  Hallelujah!  I want to shout this from the rooftop.  It's been a long, hard fought battle between the blender and I, and I am absolutely gloating over this victory!


I have been studying drink making in general in my spare time - as if watching Jeopardy daily didn't have me high enough on the "cool" scale, lets add this:)  Just wait until I start to tell you about my cardigan collection lol but, I digress.  I noticed several drinks have perfectly shaped ice cubes in the glass.  It seems that you can purchase molds that make all kinds of ice cube shapes.  I decided to order the square and round molds.  I tested these out this week.  Let me tell ya, you haven't lived until you have used perfectly shaped ice in a drink!  Once you have perfectly shaped ice cubes, there's no going back.  It changes a person lol.  The non-frozen version of this drink allowed me to use the square ice mold.  The ice fit perfectly in the glass and looked sleek and classy.  See photo above.



My taste testers also loved the drink.  It was split 50/50 on which version of the drink was the favorite though.  We'll have to call it a draw.  The most fun part was watching my Grandmother try a cocktail.  She's living the Florida life for the next few weeks though, so she's ready for fun!  A photo is below!









Lesson learned - Stepping out of my comfort zone paid off this week!  You should try new things even when you think you won't like it.  Every once in a while a drink might surprise you and turn out way better than you thought it would be. 


Recipe
1 1/2 ounces tequila
1 1/2 ounces Midori
1 ounce simple syrup
1/2 ounce lime juice
1/2 ounce lemon juice
Garnish with a lime if desired.


Level of difficulty: 2
Taste: 8
Overall: 8






 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tale of Two Toddies - Hill Billy Bourbon

Here Comes the Sun - Week 4

Ain't Life Grand - Week 11