Take a Pitcher it Lasts Longer - Week 14

The Sanga Rita - Week 14

True friends are one of life's greatest treasures and if you are lucky enough to find a few over the course of your life, consider yourself lucky.  I have the good fortune of having a few of these friends and I am so thankful.  However, now that I live in Florida, I often have to travel to see these friends or if I'm lucky, they come to me every once in a while.   I consider my friend Amy among one of those people.  I was thrilled when she said she was visiting Florida.  I happily agreed to drive to where she was staying and spend some time with her.  She and her mom, who I have also grown to know over the years, requested that we make a margarita together during my visit.  I excitedly agreed as I know Amy's Mom is a margarita fan - just like me!  However, I should have thought it through before I agreed.  I realized that I needed to bring my drink making paraphernalia as well as all the liquor and ingredients with me - this may be harder than I anticipated.


I looked through my book and came up with a drink that would be easy to transport and make on the road.  The bonus to this is that I have now perfected my portable bar. Can I put this on my resume?  Probably not, but it feels like something I should be able to show off.  This blog will have to be enough for now:)


I chose the Sanga Rita for this week's drink.  This drink is a cross between a traditional sangria drink and a margarita.  Since there were several people coming over for a get together, I also decided to try making a pitcher of drinks this week.  It was a little nerve wracking and I definitely took longer than I should have to carefully measure all the ingredients.  The recipe I had was for a single drink, so I had to convert that to fit a pitcher.  Some of you probably think this is easy, but there's a reason I work in the legal field and not the finance world!  I dug deep to my high school math and managed to properly covert the recipe.




One of my favorite parts of this drink was all the fruit involved.  It was fun to slice up the limes, lemons and oranges.  The contrast of colors in this drink were fantastic and the combination of the citrus and the wine made for an interesting combination.  Letting the fruit sit in the wine and marinate also made the drink better. 




Now, I must confess - I didn't like this drink at all.  I think it might be the fact that I'm not a big red wine drinker and the combo was just too much for my taste buds.  I admit, I dumped my drink and made a traditional margarita.  Oh the shame!!!  However, everyone else loved it, so I think I was definitely in the minority.  They liked it so much that I questioned them multiple times to make sure they weren't just trying not to hurt my feelings.  They actually really liked it!


Lesson learned:  One man's trash is another man's treasure.  Just because this wasn't my cup of tea, doesn't mean it wasn't a good drink generally. Drink making and tasting is very subjective. 


Recipe
1 orange slice
1 lemon slice
1 lime slice
1 tablespoon sugar
3 ounces red wine (inexpensive)
1 1/2 ounce tequila



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tale of Two Toddies - Hill Billy Bourbon

Here Comes the Sun - Week 4

Ain't Life Grand - Week 11