Houston, We have a Problem - Week 27

Week 27 - The Dirty Margarita
Epic fail.  That's the only way to describe this week's drink.  I had a good long streak of steady drink making improvement going, until today:)  I decided to make the week 27 drink The Dirty Margarita.  This was a drink that used ingredients I already had around the house, so I thought it would be easy peasy.  I was wrong.


In addition to tequila, simple syrup and lime juice, this drink has a number of other ingredients.  It seems to be the garbage can drink for all things laying around the house.  It includes Blue Curacao, Midori and fruit.  The recipe leaves what fruit up to you.  It says whatever you have laying around.  In my case, I had, Strawberries, blueberries and oranges, so that is what I used. 


The prep of the drink went fine.  In fact, my hopes were pretty high going into this drink.  I put everything into the blender and turned it on.  As soon as it started to mix, it became the worst color of brown that you have ever seen.  I realized that the title "Dirty" margarita implied that it wouldn't be the prettiest thing ever, but this was just gross looking.


I reluctantly poured it into the glass.  It looked even worse in the pretty glass.  I was terrified to give it a taste, but I gave it the old college try.  To my surprise, it wasn't awful, but I don't think it was great either.  It seemed to lack an identity and have a lot of different flavors going on.  The Blue Curacao and Midori packed a lot of flavor, but mixed with the fruit, it was a little overwhelming.  It wasn't the worst, but I just couldn't get over this drink's appearance.  I even tried to add some garnish to spruce it up, but in the end, it just fell flat.


Lesson Learned - Be humble about your skills.  Just when you think you know all there is to know about drink making or at the very least, think you've mastered the basics, life is right there to remind you that you do not:)  There's always more to learn and you can always improve on where you are at.


Recipe
2 ounces tequila
1/2 ounce Blue Curacao
1/2 ounce Midori
1/2 ounce lime juice
1/2 ounce simple syrup
1/2 cup mixed berries and chopped fruit (anything you have: apples, oranges, strawberries etc.)


Level of difficulty - 4
Taste - 2
Overall - 5






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tale of Two Toddies - Hill Billy Bourbon

Here Comes the Sun - Week 4

Ain't Life Grand - Week 11