Don't Be Bitter - Week 36

Week 36 - The Bitter Lemon Margarita
Once again I find myself sliding my drink in at the very last minute this week.  I actually had to schedule time to drink on my calendar.  Who does that!?!  I really hope life slows down in the near future because I'm about spent!  I live and breath by my calendar though and the week 36 drink was completed, so I guess it all turned out in the end.  This week's drink of choice is The Bitter Lemon Margarita.


I have never used bitters in a drink before today, so I was flying blind on this one.  As I have mentioned several times, I love lemon in almost any form (or so I thought!) so I figured this would be no big deal.  I was wrong.


I'm used to a fresh citrusy taste for lemon drinks.  Adding the bitters, drastically changed the drink in way that did not suit my palate.  I realize some people may enjoy this change, but it wasn't for me.  It also dramatically changed the color of the drink to a deep orange, almost red color.  It was just such a contrast for me because of the "lemon" name of the drink that I found that to be confusing for my brain while I was taste testing.  It's a small and somewhat silly thing, but I found that it mattered to me what color this drink was.  I garnished with a lemon wheel and salt. 
I will add that the glass I used for this drink is one of my absolute favorites.  It's really unique and I have been waiting to feature it in this blog.  I bought it back in the beginning of the year.  It's also deceivingly large.  My Father loves this glass because it fits one can of beer perfectly.  It seems like it won't fit and then bam - there it is!  It makes me laugh every time I use it and it reminds me of a fun memory with my Dad. 


Lesson Learned - It always surprises me how the smallest change can alter a drink
and change it into something else entirely.  I have so much more to explore in the drink making world and so much more to learn!


Recipe
1 1/2 ounces tequila
1 ounce Cointreau
1 ounce lemon juice
3/4 ounce simple syrup
Garnish with lemon when and salt if desired


Level of difficulty - 2
Taste - 5
Overall - 5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tale of Two Toddies - Hill Billy Bourbon

Here Comes the Sun - Week 4

Ain't Life Grand - Week 11