Squeeze The Day - Week 31

Week 31 - The Limoncello Margarita
Today, I feel old.  How does the saying go – The days feel like years, but the years feel like days?  Something like that anyways.  Somehow, without me even noticing, it’s been 20 years since I graduated high school.  I don’t know how it happened, but as I sit here writing this, I am at my parent’s house on my way to attend my 20th high school reunion.  I remember thinking people who were almost forty were really old.  Now, it doesn’t feel so old at all!  The good news is, it will be a ton of fun to see my high school pals and catch up, but the shock of it all is still there!


There’s only one obvious way to deal with this stress – my week 31 margarita!  This week’s drink of choice is The Limoncello Margarita.  As I have mentioned before, I am a huge fan of lemon in anything, so I was pretty excited to make this one. While I absolutely loved this drink, I must admit, it tasted very similar to my Week 2 drink, They Meyer Lemon Margarita.  It was still very good, but no difference in taste, so it felt like this drink was a bit of a repeat.


There was however, one significant difference in the two drinks.  This drink called for sugar on the rim of the glass.  The recipe called for adding lemon zest to the coarse sugar mix to make a fun lemon sugar mix for the rim.  It was outstanding.  I highly recommend this and will be using it for other drinks going forward.  It was just a small punch of flavor that took the drink to the next level. 
In addition to the traditional ingredients, this drink called for Limencello liquor, which I have not used before.  This is a great addition to the liquor cabinet and I think I will explore other cocktails that I can use this with.  I really enjoyed it.  I used a simple lemon wedge as a garnish.  The taste was great.  Refreshing and classic.  Two thumbs up and cheers to 20 years out of high school!
Lesson learned – Like a fine wine, these drinks keep getting better with time.  The more recipes I try, the better they get.  Even though this was similar recipe to what I have made in the past.  the addition of the sugar lemon zest combo was a different way to add to the drink.  I can use this on other drinks in the future also. 


Recipe
2 ounces gold tequila
1 ounce Limoncello
1 ounce simple syrup
1/2 ounce lemon juice
1/2 ounce lime juice
4 tablespoons lemon zest sugar for rim


Level of difficulty – 4
Taste – 9.5
Overall - 9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tale of Two Toddies - Hill Billy Bourbon

Here Comes the Sun - Week 4

Ain't Life Grand - Week 11