Oh My Madras - Week 5

Week 5 - The Margarita Madras


I can't believe it's already week 5!  This year and my new challenge is flying by.  I'm still gun shy on the frozen drink making since my week 3 misstep, so I decided to continue one more week with a more traditional recipe, sans the blender!  For week 5, I decided to go with a Margarita Madras.  Truth be told, I still had some orange juice left from last week's drink so it made life a little easier.


The description of this drink states it's a new twist on the classic cocktail, the Madras.  This meant nothing to me since I know nothing of drinks, classic or otherwise:)  I did a quick Google search to get more information.  The traditional Madras is made with vodka.  All other ingredients were about the same.  Interesting...


Now that I have my new fun drink glasses (see week 4 for explanation), it's a lot of fun to select which glass to use for each drink.  However, I follow a few other drink making connoisseurs on Instagram and I have noticed that in addition to fun glasses, some of them also have festive stir sticks.  Of course, I can't be left behind, so I placed an online order immediately.  When the delivery arrived, I ran to the door like a kid on Christmas morning - who am I right now?   I guess I'm just enjoying my new hobby.  See the photo below for a glimpse at my new stir stick additions.




I now have fun glasses and new stir sticks.  I am ready to go!  This drink had a fair amount of prep work, but was otherwise easy to put together.  The Madras also called for sugar instead of salt on the rim, which was something new for me to try.  My absolute favorite part of this drink was learning that if you dip the rim of the glass in grenadine before dipping the glass in sugar, you get a pinkish hue to the rim.  It also adds a little extra flavor to the drink. Photos of this process are below.



Per the recipe, I added an orange wedge for garnish in the drink and of course, I added my new stir stick!  The drink looked great!  However, I found the taste to be a little bland.  The orange juice felt like it took over the drink.  If I were to make this drink again, I would definitely add less orange juice.  As mentioned above, the grenadine on the rim gave the drink a little kick, but as soon as that wore off the rim, the drink lost its spark.  It was fun to put together, but not my favorite.


Lesson learned: Not every drink is going to be my taste, but it's good to try new things and see what's out there.  Even though I didn't love this drink, I loved learning about the grenadine trick.  I hope to use that again down the road.


Recipe
3 ounces orange juice
1 ounce white tequila
1 ounce triple sec
1 ounce cranberry juice
Orange wedge for garnish


Level of difficulty: 4.5
Taste: 6
Overall: 6


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tale of Two Toddies - Hill Billy Bourbon

Here Comes the Sun - Week 4

Ain't Life Grand - Week 11